To save hundreds of dollars on education, insurance and entertainment by accessing limited benefits and preferred group rates that are exclusive to OPA, you must be an OPA member. To make your single most valuable investment, click here.
Education and Practice
Members can take advantage of discounts on these popular offerings:
- Discounted registration for the annual OPA Conference, save the date for next year’s conference to be held in Niagara Falls, June 11 - 13, 2020. As an OPA member, you’ll save hundreds of dollars off your conference registration depending on your membership category. Watch for registration information in your inbox.
- Three different types of PD Bundles saving you up to $300: PD Clinical Bundle, PD Operational Bundle, Pharmacy Technician Bundle.
- Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) Associate Membership, provides access to popular products, services and education, including an advocacy roundup, subscription to Canadian Pharmacist Journal (full pharmacists only), therapeutic highlights continuing education and more.
- American Pharmacists Association (APhA), up to 50% off membership rates
- Canadian Red Cross training, up to 35% off registration
- Access to RxFiles and RxFiles Plus, offering objective comparisons for optimal drug therapy
- Networking opportunities and emerging pharmacy communities of interest
- Access to a team of experts to answer practice and policy questions through the Practice Support Network. Stay current on policies that impact your profession, and receive expert advice to help guide your practice.
OPA members also take advantage of savings on popular insurance products when they purchase a membership. We offer competitive savings and coverage on plans for:
- Pharmacy (store) - The pharmacy (store) insurance program from the Ontario Pharmacists Association provides a flexible way to protect your retail store and dispensary property, plus your liability exposures, in one seamless, customizable package. Our program was prepared by one of the foremost experts in the industry and includes some of the most comprehensive coverage available.
- Professional liability - The Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) has mandated that everyone who is registered in Class A with the College must carry individual professional liability insurance (PLI). PLI provides financial reimbursement in situations where a law suit is brought against you (for example, if a mistake is made in dispensing medication), and it is required for pharmacists, pharmacy students, pharmacy interns, and pharmacy technicians.
- Student accident - Student accident insurance provides short-term coverage for pharmacy students, interns, assistants and technicians who are volunteering in pharmacy settings and are required to have insurance equivalent to Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), at extremely affordable rates.
- Accidental death and dismemberment - Protect yourself and your family from financial hardship with single or family plan accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage under the Association's program.
- Business expense disability - As a pharmacy owner, if you suffer a disabling injury or illness, long term disability insurance will help protect your income. But what about the ongoing expenses associated with running your pharmacy? Costs such as rent or mortgage payments, utilities, taxes, and salaries can create an enormous burden. That’s where business expense disability insurance can help. It pays for ongoing business expenses, so you can be sure you still have a business to return to when you have recovered.
- Critical illness - This important insurance helps protect you and your family from the significant and often long-term financial hardship that can result from surviving a major illness. Critical Illness insurance benefit is paid as a lump sum, giving you the flexibility to allocate the benefit payment as you need during a challenging time.
- OPA Secure Health Plan - health and dental - The OPA Secure Health Plan is made available to all OPA members as a tool to help protect you and your family from unforeseen medical expenses.
- OPA Advantage Plus - OPA members who are owners of an incorporated pharmacy can offer a Health Spending Account plan with a $2,000 benefit to employees. Click on the link to learn more.
- Auto and home - At home or on the road, it is essential to protect yourself and what matters most with quality insurance coverage. Through the group auto and home insurance plan, Ontario Pharmacists Association members can enjoy exclusive benefits and product features priced more competitively than individual rates. You’ll also receive responsive, 24/7 claims service and emergency assistance from a trusted insurance company.
- Long-term disability - Long term disability insurance is an essential part of a solid financial plan. It protects you and your loved ones from the financial hardship that can arise if you are unable to work due to disability as a result of sickness or injury.
- Term life - Our 10-year term life insurance makes it easy to ensure your dependants have the financial support they need in the event of your death or the death of your spouse. You determine the benefit amount you feel is appropriate to care for loved ones and to help discharge any outstanding financial obligations such as debts and taxes. Term life gives you peace of mind, at a very affordable price.
- Student travel - Travel with peace of mind when you travel out-of-province or outside of Canada, OPA Student Travel insurance will protect you from emergency medical expenses and trip-related incidents such as cancellation, interruption and lost baggage.
For detailed information about OPA insurance plans can be found here.
This year, OPA is offering exclusive savings on products with Manulife Bank (check website for all product restrictions and terms). Check out three programs that Manulife Bank is offerings OPA members:
Manulife Advantage Account1
- OPA Members get our best promotional interest rate
- No monthly account fee
- FREE unlimited transactions with a balance of $1,000
ManulifeMONEY+™ Visa Infinite* Card1. Get cash back plus extensive travel benefits:
- $99 annual fee waived in 1st year
- 10% cash back at grocery stores for 3 statements, 3% after
- 2% cash back on travel (airlines, hotels and cruises)
- 1% cash back on everything else
ManulifeMONEY+™ Visa* Platinum Card1. Get cash back rewards with no annual fee:
- 5% cash back at grocery stores for 3 statements, 2% after
- 1% on everything else
Manulife One1 is an all-in-one mortgage, line of credit and bank account that could help you become debt-free faster!
- Get $1,000 cash back upon mortgage funding
- Mortgage setup fees covered up to $1,500
- Every deposit you make immediately reduces your debt and saves you interest
- Consolidate your debt, save thousands and become debt free sooner
1. Visit www.manulifebank.ca/opa for all product restrictions and terms.
An OPA membership drives your career forward with:
- Job postings and classifieds - Reach your target market with OPA's job postings and classified. Member rates apply.
- Access to Shift Assist™ where you can apply for shifts throughout pharmacies to gain the experience you need for your career.
Savings on great entertainment destinations for you and your family. OPA provides group discounts for:
- Falls Avenue Resort, hotel and waterpark packages starting at $129
- Canada's Wonderland, discounted ticket prices
- Ripley's Aquarium Canada, discounted ticket prices
- Ontario Science Centre, 20% off general admissions and IMAX Films
- Royal Ontario Museum, 15% off admission
- Wet 'n' Wild, discounted ticket prices
- CNE, discounted ticket prices
Membership offers savings on getting where you need to go:
- Flight Centre - Your own personal travel concierge - save up to $150 on travel
- VIA Rail Canada, 5% discount every time you travel with VIA
- Travel Affinity Program, travel deals anywhere, anytime on hotels and car rentals
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car, 5% discount on bookings, preferred customer status, Corporate Class Line, no additional driver/under age driver surcharges
- Personal Travel Concierge - Flight Centre and the Ontario Pharmacists Association have teamed up to offer you exclusive travel deals. Save time and money getting to your dream destination!
- Travel insurance for undergraduate students
Your OPA membership offers even more bonuses that fit your lifestyle, like:
- Dell Member Purchase Program - Exclusive discounts on regular and sale priced items, Dell Advantage loyalty rewards, free delivery and easy returns, and fast and easy financing options (OAC)
- GoodLife Fitness Centres membership, up to 45% off regular GoodLife Fitness Membership Rates at more than 280 locations across Canada ($449 annually plus applicable taxes), towel service, all club access, and more.
- TELUS Mobility, exclusive member rate plan starting at $60 per month (estimated value of $95 per month)
- Mercedes-Benz, discounted pricing on vehicles