- Ontario reports 326 cases as province plans to end 30-day limit on prescriptions (CBC News (Online)) "It's been a difficult policy," said Justin Bates, the chief executive officer of the Ontario Pharmacists Association. "We stand by the policy, we think it was the right thing to do, but I think everybody's hopeful that we can get back to 90 days and to a normal cycle of quantity."
- OPA's position on government's "Pandemic Pay" list. OPA asking the Ontario Government for inclusion of hospital pharmacists in the pandemic pay list (Global News Toronto)
- Prescription refill limits during COVID-19 pandemic mean added costs for seniors (Toronto Star (Online)) Date: Apr 17, 2020 By: Rachel Mendleson
Justin Bates, CEO of the Ontario Pharmacists Association, said pharmacists across Canada urged governments to impose limits on refills because of concerns about the global supply chain of medications and to stop the "panic buying" that occurred in the early days of the pandemic. "We can't be reactive in these situations because once a drug shortage occurs it's really difficult to fix that situation," Bates said. "We wanted to avoid any scenario where a patient couldn't get their medications."
- Drug supply chain during COVID-19 and added cost of dispencing fees (The Zoomer TV) - Allan Malek, OPA's Executive Vice President and Chief Pharmacy Officer, joins a panel of experts to discuss the strains on the drug supply chain, drug shortages and the rising costs of prescription refills during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Doctors begging people not to take drugs unproven as pandemic cures while customs officers try to stop pill smuggling (Toronto Star (Online)) Date: Apr 17, 2020 By: Jason Miller
The situation was so widespread it prompted some organizations, including the Ontario Pharmacists Association, Ontario Medical Association and Ontario Nurses Association, to send letters to their members advising of risk.
- 'Evidence doesn't back it up': Guelph prof says drug touted as coronavirus cure could do more harm than good (Guelph Mercury (Online)) Date: Apr 18, 2020 By: Graeme Mcnaughton
According to a joint letter from the Ontario Pharmacists Association, the Ontario Medical Association and the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, "pharmacists across Ontario and across the entire country have reported significant growth in the number of prescriptions being issued for one or a combination of these two products.
- Answering your virus questions (CP24 (Online)) Date: Apr 16, 2020
Allan Malek discusses 30-day prescription limits with CP-24.
- CTV News Channel (CTV News (CTV-NC)) Date: Apr 15, 2020
Pharmacists are struggling to deal with an influx of patients anxiously avoiding medical clinics or ERs with the pandemic. For more on that, let's go to Justin Bates, CEO of the Ontario Pharmacists Association.
- Canada: Caution For Physicians During Covid-19 (Mondaq (Online))Date: Apr 14, 2020
By: Michael Fraleigh, Diana Saturno, Jared Schwartz
A directive was issued this week from the Ontario Pharmacists Association, Ontario Medical Association, and Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario, which can be found here.
Back to top