Migraine Management Mastermind for Pharmacists
Developed by a multidisciplinary team, this flexible educational program features four interactive modules that assist pharmacists with addressing clinical challenges, developing individualized treatments, and improving patient outcomes in relation to migraines.
Migraines have a debilitating impact and often reduce the quality of life for patients. With an increase in therapies for acute and preventative migraine treatments, pharmacists have an opportunity to intervene in patient care and prevent medication overuse. The proximity and frequency in which pharmacists have with patients can assist with an accurate diagnosis, management of migraines by improving the understanding of medications and an individualized management plan to reduce the burden of the disease. This program will better equip pharmacists with counselling patients who experience migraines. Options for migraine prevention, various therapies, and medication overuse headache will also be discussed.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Be familiar with the diagnostic approach to migraine;
- Apply the elements of a care plan to effectively counsel patients with migraine;
- Understand the management of acute treatment of migraine and medication overuse headache;
- Consider first-line options for migraine prevention and the role of second-line therapies (onabotulinum toxin type A and CGRP antibodies);
- Recognize the different strategies for menstrual migraine, contraception in women with migraine with aura, and menopausal issues.
This program consists of the following online modules:
Course at a glance:
Who should take this course:
There is no prerequisite to register for this program. This program supports pharmacists interested in learning more about providing care and counselling to patients with migraines.