When a patient comes with headache, where do you begin and how do you help them? Do not worry! This program will provide you with the clinical knowledge to tackle the most challenging migraine management issues in your practice. The program consists of three individual modules that provide insights on patient assessment, acute migraines treatment and prophylaxis therapy options with patient cases to help you to apply knowledge into practice.
This program consists of the following three online modules with final exam and evaluation:
- Module 1: Headache - Patient Assessment (0.75 hour)
- Module 2: Treatment of Acute Migraine (0.75 hour)
- Module 3: Prophylaxis Therapy for Migraine (1 hour)
- Declaration of Completion of Online Modules
- Final Multiple-choice Exam (0.5 hour)
- Program’s Evaluation
How to register: To register, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Pricing and Registration”; a drop-down will open with pricing information for members and non-members*. Select the option that applies to you, then click on "add to cart" to start the registration process.
*Not a member? OPA members receive significant discounts on professional development. Find out about becoming a member here.
Continuing Education Units:
- Number of CEUs: 3.00
- Accreditation #: 8003-2018-2615-I-P
- Accreditation Expiry Date: November 23, 2019
You must complete the course one day before its expiry date; access will be removed after this point.
- Online, didactic learning modules
- Case study analysis and discussion
- Multiple choice assessment
The development of this program is made possible through an unrestricted sponsorship grant from Novartis
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the factors to consider when assessing a patient who presents with headache
- Outline the goals, dosing, safety and effectiveness of specific and non-specific treatment for acute migraine
- Outline the goals and pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic options for prophylaxis of migraines
Module 1: Headache - Patient Assessment
- Explain the incidence and prevalence of migraine, tension-type and medication overuse headaches
- Describe assessment of various headache disorders: migraine, tension-type headache, and medication overuse headache: definition, risk factors, clinical presentation, diagnostic criteria
- Identify the specific type of migraine based on clinical presentation: Migraine without aura, Migraine with aura, Chronic migraine, Medication overuse headache
- Discuss the pharmacist’s role in: Identifying red flags for serious headache & Screening and referral for headaches
Module 2: Treatment of Acute Migraines
- Describe the goals of therapy for treatment of acute migraine attacks
- Describe treatment of acute migraine
- Discuss both specific and non-specific treatment
- Review Step and Stratified Care approaches to the treatment
- Monitor therapy in terms of effectiveness, degree of change and time frame
- Adjust drug treatment based on patient response
Module 3: Prophylaxis Therapy for Migraines
- Identify when prophylactic treatment of migraine is required
- Describe the goals of prophylaxis therapy
- Describe pharmacologic option for the prevention of migraines
- Review non-pharmacologic options for the treatment of migraines
To receive the letter of completion for this program, participants will be required to complete the following requirements until one day before its expiry date:
- Complete the program’s online modules (instructions will be emailed to you separately after registration).
- Complete the multiple-choice exam and achieve a score of 70 per cent or more within a maximum of two attempts.
- Complete the program’s evaluation.
Pre-requisites and Target Audience
There are no pre-requisites for this program. Pharmacists and pharmacy students would find this learning useful and applicable. Pharmacy technicians are also welcome to enrol in the program.
Subject Matter Experts:
- Tejal Patel, RPh, Assistant Clinical Professor at University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy (BScPhm, PharmD)
- Karen Ng, RPh, ACPR (BScPhm, PharmD)
- Jamie Yuen, RPh, BCGP (BScPhm)
Last updated: November 22, 2018
Inquiries: Please contact OPA’s professional development team by phone at 416-441-0788, option 3 (toll-free in Ontario at 1-877-341-0788, option 3), or by email at email@example.com.
Cancellation policy: Requests for cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than five days after access to the program has been emailed to you.
Protecting your privacy: Your privacy is important to us. Some information you provide to OPA in program registration forms and exercises may be considered personal information. OPA collects, uses, and shares the information contained in program registration forms and exercises for the sole purposes of processing your registration, issuing certificates/letters of completion, awarding continuing education credits, and delivering OPA services, programs, and publications to you.
Learners’ code of conduct: By registering for an OPA education program, you agree to follow OPA’s Learners’ Code of Conduct. For further details click here.