This progrram is a subset of Minor Ailments Program. It consists of three online modules covering the conditions of mild headache, musculoskeletal pain, and insomnia for which patients might seek care.
For each minor ailment, upon completion of the program, participants will be able to*
- Describe the pathophysiology.
- Assess the patient's symptoms to determine next steps: treatment/therapy, referral or other.
- Recognize red flags signalling referral to a physician.
- Carry out an initial differential diagnosis.
- Compare and contrast available treatment options, including prescription options where merited, regarding efficacy, safety and indications for use.
- Understand monitoring parameters for treatment.
- Understand appropriate follow-up.
- Educate the patient on the correct use of recommended treatment option(s).
*Note: specific learning objectives for each ailment may differ slightly.
Number Coninuing Education Units
May 31, 2020
Online – 3 modules
- Multiple-choice assessment
- Reflective exercises
Subject Matter Experts
- Carmen Bell, BSP
- Joyce Chan, PharmD, BCPS(AQ Cardiology), CDE, ACPR
- Terry Damm, BSP
- Shelita Dattani, Bsc.Phm., Pharm.D.
- Drena Dunford, BSc (Hons), BSc (Pharm), CDE
- Sébastien Dupuis, PharmD, MSc
- Phil Emberley, PharmD, MBA
- Antonietta Forrester, BScPhm, RPh
- Christine Hughes, BscPharm, PharmD
- Karen Jensen, BSP, MSc
- Nancy Kleiman BSP, MBA
- Vivian KT Lee, BSc Phm, RPh
- Anne Mallin, RPh, BScPhm, PharmD, CDE
- Penny F. Miller, BSc (Pharm), MA (Ed)
- Preet Sian, BSc, MPharm, RPh CDE
Inquiries: Please contact OPA’s professional development team by phone at 416-441-0788, option 3 (toll-free in Ontario at 1-877-341-0788, option 3), or by email at email@example.com.
Cancellation policy: Cancellation requests must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than five days after access to the program has been emailed to you. A $30 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs costing $129 or more (before HST). A $5 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs costing less than $129 (before HST). Cancellations will not be permitted once log-in to access the program material has been initiated. Program registration fees will not be refunded after the cancellation deadline
Protecting your privacy: Your privacy is important to us. Some information you provide in program registration forms and exercises may be considered personal information. OPA collects, uses, and shares the information contained in program registration forms and exercises to process your registration; issue certificates of completion; award continuing education credits; and deliver OPA services, programs, and publications to you.
Learners’ code of conduct: By registering for an OPA education program, you agree to follow OPA’s Learners’ Code of Conduct. For further details, click here.