This course is a subset of the Minor Ailments Program. It consists of nine online modules covering common dermatologic conditions for which patients seek care, including acne vulgaris, atopic dermatitis (eczema), diaper dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, fungal skin infections, impetigo, calluses and corns, urticaria (insect bites and stings), and warts.
For each minor ailment discussed, participants will be able to demonstrate the following upon completion of the module*:
- Describe the pathophysiology.
- Assess the patient's symptoms to determine next steps – treatment/therapy, referral or other.
- Recognize red flags signalling referral to a physician.
- Carry out an initial differential diagnosis.
- Compare and contrast available treatment options, including prescription options where merited, with respect to efficacy, safety and indications for use.
- Understand monitoring parameters for treatment.
- Understand appropriate follow-up.
- Educate the patient on the correct use of the recommended treatment option(s).
*Note, specific learning objectives for each ailment may differ slightly.
Number of Continuing Education Units
May 31, 2020
Online - 9 modules
- Multiple-choice assessment
- Reflective exercises
- Carmen Bell, BSP
- Joyce Chan, PharmD, BCPS (AQ Cardiology), CDE, ACPR
- Terry Damm, BSP
- Shelita Dattani, BscPhm, PharmD
- Drena Dunford, BSc (Hons), BSc (Pharm), CDE
- Sébastien Dupuis, PharmD, MSc
- Phil Emberley, PharmD, MBA
- Antonietta Forrester, BScPhm, RPh
- Christine Hughes, BscPharm, PharmD
- Karen Jensen, BSP, MSc
- Nancy Kleiman, BSP, MBA
- Vivian KT Lee, BScPhm, RPh
- Anne Mallin, RPh, BScPhm, PharmD, CDE
- Penny F. Miller, BSc (Pharm), MA (Ed)
- Preet Sian, BSc, MPharm, RPh, CDE
Inquiries: Please contact OPA’s professional development team by phone at 416-441-0788, option 3 (toll-free in Ontario at 1-877-341-0788, option 3), or by email at email@example.com.
Cancellation policy: Cancellation requests must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than five days after access to the program has been emailed to you. A $30 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs costing $129 or more (before HST). A $5 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs costing less than $129 (before HST). Cancellations will not be permitted once log-in to access the program material has been initiated. Program registration fees will not be refunded after the cancellation deadline.
Protecting your privacy: Your privacy is important to us. Some information you provide in program registration forms and exercises may be considered personal information. OPA collects, uses, and shares the information contained in program registration forms and exercises to process your registration; issue certificates of completion; award continuing education credits; and deliver OPA services, programs, and publications to you.
Learners’ code of conduct: By registering for an OPA education program, you agree to follow OPA’s Learners’ Code of Conduct. For further details, click here.