Prerequisite for any of the stand-alone subsets of Minor Ailments program. Covers the important steps and processes for appropriately assessing and triaging the care of a patient with a minor ailment.
For each minor ailment discussed, upon completion of each module, the participants will be able to*
- Describe the pathophysiology.
- Assess the patients' symptoms to determine next steps: treatment/therapy, referral or other.
- Recognize red flags signalling referral to a physician.
- Carry out an initial differential diagnosis.
- Compare and contrast available treatment options (including prescription options where merited), with respect to efficacy, safety and indications for use.
- Understand monitoring parameters for treatment.
- Understand appropriate follow-up.
- Educate the patient on the correct use of the recommended treatment option(s).
*Note: specific learning objectives for each ailment may differ slightly.
Number of Continuing Education Units
May 31, 2020
- Multiple-choice assessment
- Reflective exercises
Subject Matter Experts
- Carmen Bell, BSP
- Joyce Chan, PharmD, BCPS (AQ Cardiology), CDE, ACPR
- Terry Damm, BSP
- Shelita Dattani, BscPhm, PharmD
- Drena Dunford, BSc (Hons), BSc (Pharm), CDE
- Sébastien Dupuis, PharmD, MSc
- Phil Emberley, PharmD, MBA
- Antonietta Forrester, BScPhm, RPh
- Christine Hughes, BscPharm, PharmD
- Karen Jensen, BSP, MSc
- Nancy Kleiman, BSP, MBA
- Vivian KT Lee, BScPhm, RPh
- Anne Mallin, RPh, BScPhm, PharmD, CDE
- Penny F. Miller, BSc (Pharm), MA (Ed)
- Preet Sian, BSc, MPharm, RPh, CDE
Inquiries: Please contact OPA’s professional development team by phone at 416-441-0788, option 3 (toll-free in Ontario at 1-877-341-0788, option 3), or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation policy: Requests for cancellations must be submitted in writing to email@example.com no later than five days after access to the program has been emailed to you. A $30 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs equal or more than $129 (before HST). A $5 (+HST) administration and processing fee will apply for programs less than $129 (before HST). Cancellations will not be permitted once log-in to access the program material has been initiated. Program registration fees will not be refunded after the cancellation deadline.
Protecting your privacy: Your privacy is important to us. Some information you provide to OPA in program registration forms and exercises may be considered personal information. The Association collects, uses, and shares the information contained in program registration forms and exercises for the sole purposes of processing your registration, issuing certificates/letters of completion, awarding continuing education credits, and delivering OPA services, programs, and publications to you.
Learners’ code of conduct: By registering for an OPA education program, you agree to follow OPA’s Learners’ Code of Conduct. For further details click here.